On March 21 at TREC, the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DVNR) held its annual public open house and reviewed 2012 and discussed where Presque Isle is headed for 2013. I will try to give you a review of what was said at that meeting.
First of all the operating budget of Presque Isle for 2012, was $3,450000 and is planned at $3,556,000 for 2013. I am very happy to report that Presque Isle will have an additional 6,000 hours of added help in 2013 which will be devoted to custodians and laborers to help keep the park cleaner and in better repair. In past years this has been a concern to many visitors and it is a welcome addition for Presque Isle.
Projects Completed 2012
- Annual Beach Sand Nourishment $2,700,000.
- Re-alignment of Park Roads beach # 5 and # 8 $ 1,130.000.
- Big Green Screen –TREC New Digital Projection System $250,000.
- Multi-Purpose Trail Resurface $ 98,865.
- Sand Mound Renovation –Beaches #10 and # 11 $129,460
- Erie Bluffs Comfort Station Replacement $75,091.
- Erie Bluffs –Elk Creek Access Road and Parking Lot Seal Coat $ 37,658.
In addition to the DCNR budget, the following grants, donations and funds benefited Presque Isle in 2012.
- Ducks Unlimited – – Great Lakes Restoration Initiative –Invasive – – $ 377.000.
- Fish and Boat Commission – Great Lakes Restoration Initiative $ 67, 870.
- Erie County Gaming Authority – -Lighthouse Preservation Work $11,500.
- Presque Isle Historic Structures Endowment – – Portia Norton via Erie Community Foundation and Presque Isle Partnership – – – $198,000.
- Presque Isle Partnership – – Lighthouse Restoration $ $14,000
- LAMP – -Great Lakes Restoration Initiative – – $29,000.
- PNC – Growing Greener Great Grant – $25,000. (Through Friends of TREC)
- Friends of TREC Grant – – Garden Volunteer Coordinator $15,000.
- Highmark Adaptive Kayak Program – $2,064.
- SONS of Lake Erie – – Sturgeon Tank $3,500.
- Presque Isle Partnership – – Rehab Perry Monument $125,000.
- EE Grant – Pa. Forest & Forestry $2,253.
- EE Grant – Construction of Perry Fleet Material $ 512.
- EE Fund Grant – Curriculum Support Material $1,500.
- Friends of TREC – – Sponsorship of Volcanoes Film $8,500.
- Crayola – Teaching supplies $ 1,500.
- Kiwanis of Erie – – TREC the Halls $500.
- Presque Isle Partnership – – Spring Clean-up Food $ 600.
- Presque Isle Partnership – Rope Bridge at DPI $ 155.00
Total additional funding $ 883, 515.
As you can see, Presque Isle had a busy 2012 with large crowds visiting the park year round. I am looking forward to an even busier year in 2013. We have a wonderful jewel right here on our doorstep and I hope more and more of you find ways to make it your Place for All Seasons.
See you on the park!!
This post was written by admin